miners 发表于 2008-2-17 02:45:25

你可以天天说英语--Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

对 话

Dave:Mrs. Cooper has been in a very good mood
this morning.

戴夫:古柏太太今天早上心情很好。

Lillian:Too bad I have to go talk to her about
that project.

莉莉安:真糟糕,我得去找她谈有关那件案子的事。

Dave:What! Don't tell her that! She hates that
project.

戴夫:什么?别跟她讲那件事!她很讨厌那件案子。

Lillian:But I need her opinion.

莉莉安:但是我需要她的意见啊。

Dave:I really think you should just let sleeping
dogs lie.

戴夫:我真的觉得你不该没事找事。

Lillian:What if I tell her in a very nice way and
bring her a sandwich to make her happy?

莉莉安:要是我很委婉地告诉她,顺便带一份三文治给她让她开心呢?

Dave:That sandwich might end up on your head if
you're not careful.

戴夫:你要是不小心的话,那份三文治最后可能会砸在你头上吧。

[多学一点点]

★let sleeping dogs lie

let是"让",sleeping是"正在睡觉的",而 lie则是指"躺"。let sleeping
dogs lie
字面上的意思是"让在睡觉的狗儿躺着",也就是别吵醒它之意,引申为"不要没事惹事"或"别自找麻烦"。
页: [1]
查看完整版本: 你可以天天说英语--Let Sleeping Dogs Lie